MEMS suppliers and OEM end-users to explore “MEMS in the Mainstream” at MEMS Executive Congress 2011
Written by obwain
Wednesday, 27 July 2011 00:06
MEMS Industry Group (MIG) hosts MEMS Executive Congress 2011, the annual business conference and networking event for the MEMS industry, November 2-3, 2011 in Monterey, CA. Keynote speakers include strategy consultant Aaron Schulman, business director, Toffler Associates, who will explain how global drivers of change will radically transform the behavior of individuals and societies; Scott Livingston, CEO, Livingston Securities, who will examine financing innovation in public markets; and Per Asberg, program director, client partnerships, IBM Rational, who will describe IBM’s role in helping to streamline the development design process for systems in automobiles, electronics and medical devices. Several industry panels and the event’s first application showcase complete the MEMS Executive Congress conference program.
“The MEMS industry is hot,” said Karen Lightman, managing director, MEMS Industry Group. “With double-digit growth rates, volume production surging at captive and commercial foundries, and vertical markets such as consumer, automotive, industrial and biomedical driving new demand for a wide range of MEMS devices, the MEMS industry is well poised for continued growth. Providing a unique brand of information-sharing among MEMS suppliers and OEM end-users, MEMS Executive Congress is the perfect forum for understanding and predicting this growth. If you are in any way connected to the MEMS industry, you must attend MEMS Executive Congress.”
MEMS EXECUTIVE CONGRESS KEYNOTES
- Per Asberg, program director, client partnerships, IBM Rational, will present “Accelerating Innovation through Systems Engineering Best Practices.” Drawing upon real-world examples, Mr. Asberg will discuss the “system of systems” and provide best practices on how organizations can help global engineering teams to produce innovative products within stringent budgets and deadlines.
- Scott Livingston, CEO, Livingston Securities: With 18 years’ investment experience in emerging technologies - including a focus on nanotechnologies since 2002 - Mr. Livingston will present “Financing Innovation in the Public Markets: How to Unleash the Great American Innovation Machine.”
- Aaron Schulman, business director, Toffler Associates, will examine the forces of change in technology, business, government, economics, social dynamics and the environment in “Shaping the Future: The Drivers of Change.” Addressing the impact of these forces on the MEMS industry, Mr. Schulman will map out paradigms that will help Congress attendees to achieve future success among constantly evolving market dynamics.
MEMS EXECUTIVE CONGRESS PANELS
- MEMS Market Analysts: Analysts from leading research firms will present their outlook for future growth and trends in MEMS. Moderated by Scott Livingston, CEO, Livingston Securities, with panelists:
- Julie Ask, vice president and principal analyst, Forrester Research;
- Jérémie Bouchaud, director and principal analyst, MEMS, iHS iSuppli; and
- Jean-Christophe Eloy, general manager, Yole Développement; and
- Tony Massimini, chief of technology, Micrologic, Semico Research.
MEMS in Consumer Products
- In-house, Fab-lite, Fabless: Global MEMS fabrication business leaders will discuss how MEMS fabrication has evolved, creating a new era of fabless and fab-lite manufacturing, while some companies make the choice to keep their fab in-house. Moderated by Nancy Fares, president and CEO, Micralyne, with panelists:
o Claude Jean, executive vice-president and general manager, Teledyne DALSA;
o Rakesh Kumar, director MEMS, 200mm Business Unit, GLOBALFOUNDRIES;
o Jiri Marek, senior vice president, engineering sensors, Robert Bosch Corporation; and
o Seyed Paransun, vice president and general manager, Sensor & Actuator Solutions Division, Freescale Semiconductor.
- MEMS Sensor Fusion/Sensor Networks: Heterogeneous systems integrating MEMS with ICs are increasingly common, and MEMS sensor suppliers are jockeying to support “sensor fusion” to offer one-stop solutions to the marketplace. This panel of industry executives will share their future vision of MEMS sensor fusion, and will discuss the role that MEMS can and will play.
Moderated by Michael Jamiolkowski, president and CEO, Coventor, with panelists:
- Dr. Todd Carrico, president, Cougaar Software;
- Scott Constien, vice president, product management and advanced development, Enfora;
- Peter Hartwell, distinguished technologist, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories; and
- Glenn Hauer, senior vice president for product management, INOVA Geophysical.
: The MEMS industry has been abuzz with exciting new motion-sensing video games, smartphones, tablet PCs and e-readers. While these applications are exciting, profitable and still offer unlimited potential, they are not the only consumer applications that benefit from MEMS. Panelists will discuss the ways in which software and sensor integration is catapulting MEMS into new markets and applications. Moderated by Steve Nasiri, CEO, InvenSense, Inc., with a growing list of panelists that already includes:
- Shawn Dubravac, chief economist and director of research, CEA; and
- Atul Goel, senior manager, sensors and transducers, Avago.
MEMS EVERYWHERE: AN APPLICATION SHOWCASE
MIG will launch its inaugural application showcase at this year’s Congress. “MEMS Everywhere” showcase participants will demonstrate their most compelling MEMS-enabled applications for Congress attendees. Attendees will vote on the best product, and moderator, Sam Guilaumé, CEO, Movea, will “crown” the winner.
ABOUT MEMS EXECUTIVE CONGRESS
Now in its seventh year, MEMS Executive Congress is an annual event that brings together business leaders from a broad spectrum of industries: automotive, consumer goods, energy/environmental, industrial, medical and telecom. It is a unique professional forum at which executives from companies designing and manufacturing MEMS technology sit side-by-side with their end-user customers in panel discussions and networking events to exchange ideas and information about the use of MEMS in commercial applications.
Sponsors of MEMS Executive Congress 2011 include: ACUTRONIC, Akustica, A.M. Fitzgerald & Associates, Analog Devices, Applied Materials, Bosch, Bosch Sensortec, Coventor, EV Group, Freescale Semiconductor, iHS iSuppli, imec, Lam Research Corporation, Maxim, MEMS Investor Journal, Okmetic, Plan Optik, SPTS, Teledyne DALSA and Yole Développement.
MEMS Executive Congress 2011 will be held November 2-3, 2011 at the Monterey Plaza Resort & Spa, Monterey, CA. For more information, please contact MIG via phone: 412/390-1644, email: info[at]memsindustrygroup.org or visit MEMS Executive Congress at: www.memscongress.com.
For press and analyst registration, please contact Maria Vetrano, Vetrano Communications, phone: 617/876-2770, email:
ABOUT MEMS INDUSTRY GROUP
MEMS Industry Group (MIG) is the trade association advancing MEMS across global markets. More than 110 companies comprise MIG, including Analog Devices, Applied Materials, Robert Bosch GmbH, Cambridge NanoTech, Expertech, Freescale Semiconductor, GE, Honeywell, HP, Intel, Nokia and Texas Instruments. For more information, visit: www.memsindustrygroup.org.
MEMS Industry Group and the MEMS Industry Group logo are registered trademarks of MEMS Industry Group. All other product and company names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.